Name Changes

You have the right to adopt a name different from that at birth, adoption or marriage. If you are ready to begin the process of changing your name, our law offices are available to help you fill out forms and officially register for a legal name change

Surprisingly, there is no law that prevents a person from calling themselves anything one desires, as long as you’re not trying to steal someone else’s identity or to escape liability for debt or crime. Attorney Brownstein can assist you in recovering your original birth name that might not be accurately recorded on the Certificate, or just to change your name to one that you would desire. You can even have a child’s name changed to avoid confusion in a blended family, although it would then be necessary to deal with a potential objection from a natural parent who is not present. However, it is not possible to change official records, such as birth certificates, driver’s license, passports, etc. without court approval. The Law Offices of Paul Brownstein can provide expert assistance in guiding you through this important process.

There are many reasons why people may want to change their names other than the somewhat typical example that there is an error in their birth certificate. Sometimes, as in a case we handled in Feasterville, an adult “child” wanted to change his name to the Mother’s husband who raised him instead of the natural father with whom he had no relationship. At other times, as an example of one we had in Doylestown, the Mother wanted to have a common family name for children as she had since taken back her maiden name. Most commonly, it is the desire of a couple since they’ve been married for them to want the children to have the same name of the new husband. The Law Offices of Paul Brownstein has performed name change services for many years.